Brazos River Update – May 31st 10:50 a.m.

Our Engineers (Jones & Carter) and our Operator (EDP) continue to do a wonderful job for us. They are monitoring the elevations of the Brazos River, Jones Creek, and all areas around the District. The Brazos River is projected to peak throughout the early part of the afternoon today, and Fort Bend County and the National Weather Service are still holding to the projection of a Richmond gauge elevation of 53.5-feet. The current level is 53.39-feet. EDP has crews walking the levee around Pecan Lakes and our Southern boundaries. Mason Road at 359 has been closed by TxDOT, and water is visible across the roadway. At this time there is no report of water on the bottom of our levee in any areas, but we will wait for a report from the current crews monitoring the levees.

Along with the Brazos River water level, we are also monitoring the rain forecast. The forecast for today is dry, but a 40% chance of rain is expected for tomorrow, and a 60% chance for Thursday. We will continually monitor this forecast, and EDP will be operating the storm water pump stations as necessary should the District receive any significant rainfall.

Just for an FYI, Fort Bend County OEM accidentally listed Pecan Lakes subdivision as an area not protected by levee in a public service announcement/reverse 911 call. This is incorrect, and the proper authorities have been contacted and notified. They are aware of the incorrect information and this problem is resolved. Residents in Pecan Lakes are now protected by our new levee system.

There is also an area in the back of the Randall’s parking lot that is starting to hold water. The source is from a storm drain near FM 359 tied into the main outfall channel. EDP is on scene and will be putting up barricades to prevent residents from entering or interfering with this area. The water is coming up from the lot, and travelling towards and into the North drainage channel.

A team from Fort Bend OEM and the Texas A&M Robotics team is currently in Pecan Grove and are utilizing aerial drones to survey and document the flooding of the area around the District. The drone will allow us to get a better view and understanding of the overall extents of the flooding around the District.

Fort Bend County OEM is the source of the latest information on the Brazos River flooding, please refer to the OEM website for more information by clicking here. Also, please refrain from sightseeing during this event there are significant safety hazards with walking around areas with high water. Please allow the Emergency Operations teams to keep the community safe, by staying away from high water areas.

Our Operators and Engineers are very busy around here, working to protect our community and keep us dry. They are doing a great job.

Pecan Grove / Brazos River General Flood and Drainage Information

As part of the on-going efforts to monitor the Brazos River by the Pecan Grove MUD Emergency Operations Team, we offer the following update on current conditions.

As of 7:00 AM this morning, the Brazos River – Richmond Gage had exceeded the previously recorded level.  The water at this location has been rising at a rate of approximately 1 foot per hour.  Gage reading at 7:00 was 50.56.

As of 10:15 this morning it was at 51.21.  The forecasted peak had been revised down slightly with the peak projected at elevation 53.4 tomorrow near noon.  This level would be close to the 50-year flood level on the Brazos River at this location.

Please note that the levee around Pecan Grove is designed to protect the subdivision from Brazos River levels with the Richmond Gage readings at a level of approximately 55 and will not overtop with levels as high as 58.  

As water reaches this level outside the Pecan Grove Levee, water may be approaching FM 359 in several locations and areas around Pecan Grove may see backwater effects as the Brazos River rises to its peak. The Brazos River is currently overflowing into Oyster Creek to the north of Pecan Grove.

Also note that additional rainfall may enter the area later this afternoon.  While the amount of rainfall would impact the Brazos River levels, there is some capacity without significantly raising the Brazos River levels.  Areas draining to the Brazos may have difficulty and may experience significant flooding (entirely dependent on the amount of rainfall.

Please note that the Pecan Grove Stormwater Pump Stations, internal drainage systems and storage areas have capacity to handle almost 12-inches of rainfall internallywithout flooding of homes.  But as happens without the Brazos River flooding if the rate of rainfall exceeds 1 to 2 inches per hour, there is potential for street flooding.  

Also, please avoid any “sight seeing” around the area to allow emergency personnel to perform their duties in keeping the community safe.